Today’s students are a part of the most technologically savvy generation in human history. According to one study, millennials report interacting with two or three pieces of technology on a daily basis, and 85% of millennials own a smartphone device. It only makes sense that the generations to come will be equally, if not more, connected to interactive devices.
However, for many schools, implementing the latest technology is not a priority, or it is difficult to implement. There are couple reasons for this:
- Schools are on the fence about the use of certain technologies; thinking they’re more a burden than a strategic learning tool.
- Schools want to implement more technology, but their network infrastructure is not capable of properly supporting it.
Either way, it’s a lose-lose situation for everyone involved, especially the students.
Thankfully, technology like school digital signage is easy to implement and makes an impact on students right away. It’s also an incredibly flexible platform, so it can serve a variety of purposes, whether it is providing event schedules or school announcements.
How to make the most of school digital signage systems:
- If used correctly, digital signage software and the applications it supports will help prepare students for their future careers. Now more than ever, today’s students need to be well versed in technology to keep up with the increasing demands of the job market. To truly reach these digital natives, educators must find a way to plug into their “network” and reach them on their own terms.
- Integrating digital signage into the classroom is an effective way to connect with students of all learning styles. Because digital signage can be used to create multisensory experiences, students that are more visual learners can see educational videos on specific topics of interest.
- School digital signage enhances the interaction between classmates and instructors by encouraging active collaboration. Administrators can post teacher profiles, so students are more familiar with their instructors, and content can highlight the achievements of certain classes so other students are aware of what’s going on around the school.
- Using digital signage in the classroom gives teachers and other faculty members the opportunity to develop their student’s digital citizenship skills. It’s one thing to use technology, and it’s an entirely different thing to know how to use them correctly and responsibly. Display devices can be used in a lesson plan to discuss responsible and effective communication with others.
- Integrating technology in education helps students stay engaged. Most students today have been using mobile devices like tablets and smartphones to play and learn since they could crawl. So it only seems logical to align today’s classrooms with the way that your students want and are used to learning.
- Combining new tech like touch screens with traditional classroom instruction is one example of how the introduction of school digital signage can enhance the learning experience and create new opportunities. Studies have shown that classrooms that employ technology in classrooms see an immediate increase of 17% in test scores.
- When digital signage is readily available and performing correctly in the classroom, students are able to access the most up-to-date information quicker and easier than ever before with dynamic content and applications. Customized RSS feeds or school social media pages can be shared with students to stay updated on news and events going on as they happen.
- The traditional, passive learning model is broken. With digital signage in the classroom, the teacher becomes the encourager, adviser, and coach by using customizable content to inspire and inform students. They can also find creative ways to celebrate student achievements with specialized content.
- School digital signage helps students take on more responsibility. Administrators can post challenges or goals for each class to meet in a public way so the entire school can keep track of their collective progress. Suggestions for competitions could be charity fundraisers or “number of books read by each class.”
- Digital signage transforms the learning experience. Students have access to an incredible amount of new opportunities. From learning how to design templates to learning how to better collaborate across teams and with their instructors–school digital signage technology empowers students to be more creative and be more connected. New tech has super-charged how we learn today.
If you are still debating how school digital signage can benefit your students, teachers, and administrators, you have to realize that the future of education is already here and you’re missing an unbelievable amount of opportunities.
For specific strategies for implementing school digital signage solutions, download our school digital signage manual.