Smart Playlists are a feature of XhibitSignage that allow you to quickly assemble playlists from your media library by means of the tags associated with the media. This article will provide an overview of how to use Smart Playlists.
Creating a Smart Playlist
- Hover over the “MEDIA” tab, and click “MEDIA LIBRARY”
- Then, choose which media you would like in your playlist and click “Edit”, indicated by the pencil icon.
- Add relevant tags. Smart playlists make use of these tags to populate the playlist.
- Note: On the “ADD MEDIA” page, tags can also be applied when first uploading media.
- Hover over the “PLAYLISTS” tab, and click “SMART PLAYLIST”.
- Type in a tag that is associated with one or more of your media files in the “Match all:” field.
- Click on “BUILD PLAYLIST” to automatically form a playlist from all media files matching that tag.
- Note: tag selection is an all-or-nothing selection. You cannot remove a file that is associated with a specific tag, it matches ALL media with the tag specified. You can, however, toggle “EXACT MATCH”, which will only enable media with exactly the specified tags to populate the playlist.
- If you attempt to upload a file with a tag that is currently being used in a smart playlist, a modal will appear to warn you of this. This is to prevent you from unknowingly publishing content just by uploading it.
- The “COLLECTIONS” section shows all current tag collections.
- A collection is one or more tags grouped together with an “AND” selector relationship. Media must have ALL of those tags to be matched/shown.
- Relationship between Collections is specified by the “OR” text at the very end of that line. (Example in the pictures is: (birds AND animals) OR (conference AND event) OR (baseball AND sports).