What is Digital Signage?
and How to Get Started
What does Digital Signage Mean?Digital signage refers to the use of technologies such as projection, LED, or LCD screens to display content that might include video, streaming media, graphics, and general information. What makes it stand out however, is the software that drives the displays. Depending on its use, the CMS (content management software) can be used for videowalls, touch-screen kiosks, digital menu boards, wayfinding, and more! If you'd like to know more about digital signage, be sure to check out these Frequently-asked Questions or contact us.
What is it used for?
The main goal of digital signage is to improve communication between the business and its audience. The solutions provided include:
- Employee Communication in offices
- Schools can display announcements and events
- Restaurants and cafes can easily show daily specials and update menus
- Wayfinding in Malls, Commercial Buildings, and Hospitals
- Branding and promotion in Retail Stores
- And more!
At the end of the day, the primary purpose of digital signage is to enhance the viewer experience through effective communication.
How does Digital Signage Work?
Digital Signage works by combining:
- A digital display or screen that either connects or includes a media player that works with the software
- The media player itself that downloads the content from the software, stores, then displays this information to the display
- The digital signage software that is also called the Content Management Software (CMS). This is essentially the “back-end” of the solution where you create and upload your content
- The content itself. This is an often overlooked aspect of the process but is often the most important. Creating up-to-date and powerful content can maximize the signage investment
There are many options for displays, players, and software for you to choose from. Finding which combination works best is often on a case-by-case basis but will utilize the above components to bring your solution to life.
Does it work?
Does digital signage actually work? I mean beyond the aesthetic appeal? Is it worth it? We think so! It is a really diverse technology that spans many industries.
There are some benefits qualitative and quantitative benefits of digital signage:
- Provides real-time information and updates
- Creates the opportunity for customized content
- Flexible and versatile across industries
- Saves resources
- Creates brand loyalty
- Boosts employee morale
- Minimizes perceived wait time for customers
- Reduces waste
- Safer for the environment
How Much does Digital Signage Cost?
The first and foremost question is how much does it cost? Or better yet what is the total cost of ownership?
The real value of digital signage is in the fact that it is the only visual communication mechanism for companies to transmit its messages in real time, with full, dynamic control over its content and audience.
In fact, research conducted by OTX, a global consumer research and consulting firm, shows that 63% of adults find that advertising on digital signage “catches their attention.” This confirms the stopping power of digital signage, as people consider this media to be more unique and entertaining, and less annoying than both traditional and online media.
Explore more of our content like the cost of NOT having digital signage.
Currently, the worldwide digital sign market is expected to expand to $31.7 billion by 2025 with a CAGR of 8%. Plus, in terms of shipments, growth is anticipated to reach 6.45 million units by 2025. While the technology itself may not be new, the solutions digital signage provides are increasing every year.
Are you ready to get started? Contact us with any additional questions you may have! Or learn more with these useful links: